Wednesday, July 3, 2013

July 2nd 2013 - Gi

Great class last night with some great news.  Greg's instructor Mauricio ‘Tinguinha’ Mariano, who is a BJJ 4th degree black belt, will be coming to Lincoln to conduct a seminar and see how well Greg is training us.  The official dates/times have not been posted yet but I should be able to participate. 

During the warm-up I kept guessing our next exercise incorrectly.  Just for reference we only do front shrimp and back rolls in advanced class.  We had a huge class with a visitor, Arlo, from MN and a new guy, Lucas.  Lucas is a big dude, who is also a high school wrestling coach. 

After some shoulder throws with a partner we worked the baseball bat choke from knee on belly.  My partners were the roommates Jerad and Brian.  I had a few problems with getting my grips close together at first but after I got that figured out I was more focusing on my posture and where I put my head.  The thing that I was really happy with was both knees were able to cut through the defensive arm without any problems.  From we resorted to an armbar if they were defending the choke by extending their arm not allowing your knee to get in to get into the correct position.

We did up/down/out knee on belly training.  I ended up on the bottom of Lucas' knee on belly twice and he didn't have much of a problem getting to mount.  He was a little rougher with me than I would have liked but nothing dangerous, just frustrating.  I tried to work the baseball bat choke as much as I could but everyone was super conscious about their collar.  The one time I was close I couldn't get around the person's arm.

We rolled 6 minute rounds after this and I went up against Greg, Brian, and Lucas.  Greg allowed me to try to butterfly sweep him but every time he would foil the sweep and not let me get x-guard.  I told him he was cheating.  Eventually he got tired of that and passed my guard and armbarred and baseball bat choked me the next time.  I took Brian a little more seriously than last time and caught him with a few americanas, I may be paying those forward from when I got submitted with that technique so many times in the past.  Lucas was tough, he stayed on top the whole time and while I regained guard and even went for an omaplata he smashed me from that position and I couldn't get out.  I panicked a bit when I was stuck on my shoulders with this hulk above me.  It's really got me thinking about what my strategies should be against bigger guys.  I might need to watch when my betters face off against Lucas and Fuji and see how they handle them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment