Saturday, July 13, 2013

July 13th 2013 - Open Mat

Henry and I were the first ones there so naturally we rolled first.  He's not entirely used to the gi yet so I had a little advantage from that standpoint.  We had a little bit of back and forth and I made some mistakes here and there, especially from top sprawl position.  The far side armbar was working well for me from side control and has probably been my highest percentage sub.

My roll with Bauer was going well.  We had both reversed each other a couple times and had our share of sub attempts.  I attempted the farside armbar but he was able to twist out it and stack me. During a sweep attempt I felt a little pain in my lower back while bridging and twisting.  We rolled a around a little more until I decided to call it quits.  The pain wasn't unbearable but at the same time I didn't want to make it worse by continuing.  So I begrudgingly sat out the rest of the session and watched everyone else have fun. 

Jerad gave me some advice afterwards on the armbar, that I could have posted out with my other arm and sat up to keep him from stacking.  Mike also showed me a pretty good side control escape that I will drill as soon as possible.  If you shrimp but can't get your knee in, go flat and keep a stiff arm to get back up to knees or guard.  Can't wait to try it out and get a feel for it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment