Sunday, April 19, 2015

April 18th 2015 - Kids & Open Mat

Kids Class Technique/Game: Mount Cross Choke, Armbar, Mount Position, Underhook game

Boys did pretty well today.  It was probably the biggest kids class I've seen.  Jayden took less drink breaks during the warm-ups and seemed to be trying his best.  We still need to work a bit on the alligator crawls and the front shrimp though.

They did a lot better dealing with tickling each others necks during the cross choke.  Usually it would be a deal breaker but maybe having a third partner with them helped out.  I don't think there were exactly getting the choke but progress nonetheless.  The armbar was a little more difficult, they weren't able to grasp the concept of position their hips behind the elbow to keep them from escaping.  During the rolling portion, they continued with the theme of always trying to take the back.  Or maybe always giving their backs up from the bottom.  They both did better at getting their hooks in this time.

Open Mat
Rolled With: Jerad, Fuji, Henry, Austin, Mike (Lawyer), Adam

Not my best day, but I did get a lot of rolling in.  My foot was a little swollen and I tapped if anyone came near an americana on my right arm.  Jerad pointed out that everyone appeared to be going for it.  I kind of feel a little sluggish and like I'm lacking some aggression lately.  This may be the effects of not doing the advanced class anymore and rolling with my betters. 

Jerad: We rolled a couple times and I actually gained some confidence in my deep half guard with him.  Usually he shuts it right down.  One thing that he was getting me with was to hover with both hooks in from the top as I'm in a somewhat quarter guard.  He gave me some pointers on dealing with it afterwards, by pushing on the knee and working back toward half guard. 

Fuji: He really took it to me today.  I had a hard time passing his guard and eventually he reversed me to the bottom.  I was able to play some defense pretty well for a while.  I was able to get an underhook and he would switch sides on me.  I'd get to my knees and he'd push me back down.

Henry: I played pretty defensive with him because I was too tired to do otherwise.  He gave me a lot of trouble.  Every time I got him in a semblance of half guard he would knee slide out of it.  I was persistent though and eventually got all the way to deep half.  I was able to pull off the deep half to double unders.  I didn't last long on top though and I ended up on the bottom after escaping a guillotine.  I ended up in an omoplata at one point from an over hook in guard I came so close but could not figure out how to seal the deal.  He ended up controlling my hips and smash passing me down.  I was pretty spent after this and we just kind of quit.

Austin: My goal was to try to get him with a triangle and I came pretty close, but was unable to lock it up completely.  He did a great job defending a lot of the stuff I was throwing at him. 

Mike (Lawyer): Mike was working on some of the blue belt curriculum and I did my best to help him and Bauer out.  I had forgotten the guillotine against a wall defense at first but Ross clued us in.  We went over the rest of the standing stuff.  Mike and I rolled a little bit and it was a good roll.  I recall a butterfly sweep and some work with the overhook to omoplata.  He then asked me to quiz him on techniques from the blue belt curriculum.  I tried to keep it pretty flowy and if we were in mount I'd have him do a mount submission like armbar and then flow to a guard sweep, etc.

Adam: We went no gi because I didn't feel like putting my gi-top back on after taking a break.  I did fairly well until he put me in side control.  There were a couple times when I passed his guard but he ended up recovering it right away.  I made him nervous with a few wristlock attempts but couldn't complete them.

No comments:

Post a Comment