Tuesday, December 11, 2012

December 10th - Gi

After a good warm-up, Jerad had us work on a couple of guard passes from standing in someone's open guard.  The first one boils down to the knee cut pass.  You get their foot off of you hip first and then readjust your near leg to prepare for the cut across the thigh.  Then go for the underhook as the shin drives his leg down and you baseball slide.  If the opponent tries to block your knee with his hand you pull on their sleeve in kesa gitama fashion.  This is something that Jerad does to me regularly when I try to put him into my half guard.

The second pass starts out the same way but the opponent blocks the path by shifting his hips and legs.  To counter the counter a skipping step is done to the side and your weight is to their leg and upper body.  From there windshield wiper with the shins to keep their legs pinned as you move to side control.  Surprisingly this was difficult for many of us.  The shuffle step and putting the weight down properly was the biggest obstacle.

Jerad themed the up, down, and out drill time around standing guard passing/sweeping/submitting.  I did pretty well.  All things fell as they normally do.  I had difficult times with usual people, but did have my moments and I was able to pass a few times.  There was one time I was trying to do a cross collar choke on Will and then switched to a scissor sweep which worked like a charm. I also swept Ken by going deep half to back take and then just keeping on him until I ended up on top.  I ended up in over/under pass position quite a bit and finished a few of them.  I lost plenty of times as well, usually to people going around me into side control.

I watched Jerad and Fuji work on a spider guard sweep from the Tinguinha (Greg's teacher).  I jumped in and tried it a few times as well.  None of us could get it just right, mostly because of the inverting required to complete. 

I rolled with Ken and Jerad and was shut down decisively by both of them.  I attempted the baseball bat choke as a surprise opener with both of them but wasn't able to complete it.  I think I just need to turn my shoulders more and keep my elbows together.  I feel like the rest was spent on the bottom defending and don't remember many of the finer points.  Ken tapped me with an straight armbar and Jerad with an americana, so I didn't escape a night without getting submitted by that.


No comments:

Post a Comment