Friday, December 14, 2012

December 13th - Gi (A Step Back)

It pains me to write this.  After taking a month off and feeling so good about coming back, I had another setback during yesterday's class.  I may have to take another break to heal.  How frustrating!

Conan taught and the theme of the class was the berimbolo starting from De La Riva.  We'd do a take down invert and then go for a back take.  Fortunately this was the only technique that we worked on the entire class.  We split it up into the sweep to being inverted to then taking the back.  I had a little trouble figuring out the best way to get up to the back.  Sometimes my hand would get caught in their belt or I couldn't get the bottom hook in.  Luckily I worked with Greg on it quite a few times.  While working with him we did about 3 or 4 reps and then the other partner would do their reps.  I think I prefer this to taking turns after each rep.  Here is a video of the Mendes Bros teaching what we worked on:


We did the up down and out drill from open guard with the guard passer standing up.  I feel like I was doing really well and would pass the people that I normally would and sweep the people that I normally would.  I especially had trouble with Greg as I should.  Trying to pass his guard led to my demise.  His spider guard is so frustrating.  Whenever there is an opportunity he had a hold of my sleeve with a foot in the crook of my elbow.  You really can't get away from it.  If you feel like you're going to pass to the open side the trapped arm stops you.  My injury occurred when I forcefully pushed his leg out of my elbow crook and then slid to the side.  This over bent my knee and I knew I was done for the day.  It's not as bad as it was the last time but it makes me take pause and think about next steps.  Another break may be in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment