Sunday, December 9, 2012

December 7th - Open Mat

I'm always happy to make it to open mat on Fridays.  In a way I feel like I'm starting over, taking the month off was good for me but fellow teammates like Jerad and Mike are always improving.  When I'm already less skilled than them it's a little depressing.  Adam was also at the dojo when I got there but he had hurt his shoulder (which turned out to not be serious). 

I rolled with Jerad first.  The good thing about being an hour late to open mat is that I'm fresh and everyone else is tired.  It's unfair and I'm not proud of it, but what are you going to do?  Jerad played me easy the first time and allowed me to pass his guard and take side control.  I used my knee on belly to north/south choke trick.  I got him to tap, but it was more from a jaw crank than a choke. 

The next rolls weren't as pleasant for me.  I ended up defending from the bottom for the rest of the session as Mike and Jerad worked me over from mount and back mount.  No matter what I did to try to escape they would either trap my hand in gift wrap, switch to side mount, or switch to back by putting their heal in my side. 

We had around 10 minutes left so we decided to drill guard passing king of the mat.  The first time I swept Mike by accidentally punching him in the face.  We went several more rounds before calling it a night.  I'm glad I could get over there in time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment