Tuesday, June 17, 2014

June 17th 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: Shoulder Throw: Standing RNC Defense, Farside Armbar from Side Control, Scissor Sweep

There was a huge noon class of 13 and I ended up working with Robert.  Fun fact: although we had so many people, I don't think there was a Brian in attendance. 

We had some pretty high flying throws together and eventually my thigh started to get sore from falling so much.  My main focus on the armbar was the addition of pushing on their face as I got up to switch sides.  Normally I don't do that, but it was in Greg's instruction.  I did have a little trouble with the scissor sweep, which is odd, it may have been his good wrestling base.

Rolling: Side Control Position (2 x 2 min), Closed Guard Position (Up/Down/Out), Free Rolling (Post Class)

Robert and I had a good battle from top and bottom of side control.  Like usual, I feel like I have to work extra hard to keep him down because he'll be able to get to turtle or a single leg if the pressure lets up.

We had enough people to split off into a big and not as big groups.  I was able to complete a standing guard break to knee over pass that Bhuvana gave me kudos for after class.  She mentioned how it looked text book and methodical and was really excited about seeing it.  I think this says a lot about her progress that she recognized the technique and how technical it was. 

I had a good battle with Robert trying to pass his guard and we got a little stuck at one point when I was on top in side control but he had my arm locked up in a kimura, it was a real battle of inches to squirm my arm out of his grip.  Fuji passed my guard pretty easily.  I went for my cross guard omoplata, but he took up all the space and smashed me and I wasn't sure how to recover.  Mike (Lawyer) came very close to passing my guard and we spent a little time in half guard.  I was able to take a page from Robert's book and locked him up in a kimura.  I attempted the switch move to back mount but ended up in butterfly guard which led right into a loop choke.  For some reason I had a forearm burn after that and that hardly ever happens.

Bhuvana asked to review the basic side control escape after class and I gave her a few pointers.  After that I attempted to coach Ross rolling with Tim who was being coached by Fuji.  Really the only thing I told him was to go to knee on belly a few times when it looked available.  I rolled with Tim after that which was nice because I was debating whether to get changed or not and head back to work.  I think I may have to stop using spider guard on him because he uses the defense I showed him pretty well.  I setup an omoplata at one point but he defended that pretty well, so I ended up using an upward armbar that Conan has taught previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment