Friday, June 20, 2014

June 20th 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: Shoulder Throw: Standing RNC Defense, Farside Armbar from Side Control, Scissor Sweep


There were 4 of us this morning and I was still a little sore from Wednesday's class.  I got some good reps in Darijo.  One thing that threw me a bit was that Greg taught the farside armbar differently than Tuesday.  He didn't have us push on their face and standup but instead we stayed low on our knees and rotated around to the armbar without creating as much space.  I've learned it both ways in the past so it wasn't difficult to transition, but I was kind of hoping to work on the face push.  Greg called me out on my bottom leg not being on the ground and I corrected it moving forward.  Strangely scissor sweep is something that I feel I do better during rolling than when drilling it.

Rolling: Side Control Position (6 x 2 min), Closed Guard Position (6 x 2), Free Rolling (Post Class)

We each got to roll with each other in the 2 positions.  From the bottom of side I focused on the basic side control escape and wasn't too successful.  I think a lot of that is due to these guys getting better at top side control.  From top I worked on going to mount and farside armbar.  I screwed up one of my armbars against Ross which allowed him to regain guard, good job Ross.  With guard bottom I worked on the scissor sweep and grip fighting.  From the top it was all about grip fighting and the regular guard break.  Once again I can tell the newer guys are getting better at things like grip fighting and breaking posture.

I rolled with Dave after class who was a little reluctant at first.  I started sitting and pulled him into my closed guard.  From there he was trying a little too hard to break my guard with his elbows so I ended up leading him through the basic guard break and then knee slide pass and then returned to guard and had him do it again.  Once I got on top I worked to setup the armbar that Greg did to me a few times on Wednesday from the baseball bat setup and it really worked out smooth.  I will probably be looking to incorporate this more in the near future.

I ended up with a decent shiner from Wednesday class and I'm pretty sure it was from when Henry attempted to jump into mount and just grazed my eye a little bit when I attempted to use my butterfly hooks to maintain a guard.  No worries, my wife jokingly complained a bit about going out to eat with someone that looks like they get into fights.  No one said anything at work, I think most of them know that I train in something or they think I'm weird or both.

No comments:

Post a Comment