Sunday, June 29, 2014

June 28th 2014 - Kids & Open Mat

Kids' Class

Nothing out of the ordinary to write about the kids today.  They both did a good job and had fun.  The technique was umpa escape from mount.  I saw them both do this technique well however they did get stuck a few times.  They both did well in sumo and blob tag was a blast. 

Open Mat

Jace returned with me to open mat and behaved well for the most part.  He did try to trick me at one point by filling my water bottle up with hot water.  He wouldn't give Sam the time of day even though she attempted to wave at him several times and tried to talk about similar interests, he wasn't having any of it. 

I'm pretty tired this evening so I think I'll keep this pretty short.  I didn't get to roll with too many people today mostly because I spent so much time getting submitted by Ray and when that was over the mats were cleared out.  Sorry Henry for not rolling today.

Brian (Sweaney): I've noticed Brian's pressure has been getting a lot better lately.  Seems like he's figuring out guard passing pretty well and I'm having to pull out more tricks and not be as lazy.  I caught him with a bow and arrow at the end and gave him a run down of how I like to defend.  We drilled it a couple times after that.

Brandon: He seemed a little tougher this time than a couple weeks ago.  Not sure if it was due to me being a little more relaxed.  Started off kind of bad as he put me in half guard with my head against the wall.  I thought about asking to center up but decided to work through it by squirming my way out of it to full guard.  From there I hit a couple sweeps and submissions.  At one point I suggested that he add a little pressure to his half guard and showed him the tripod to knee slide pass. 

Mo: Before we rolled we went over dealing with the lasso guard which I am no expert but had some ideas and also when passing guard if someone does a stiff arm.  Later after rolling a while he asked for tips on how to deal with a de la riva after doing the standing guard break which I also had a little advice for.  I played a lot of half guard with Mo and kept trying to setup the shoalin sweep but could never get the right grip on his sleeve.  I took his back at one point but he defended very well and I had to switch to mount instead.

Ray: Switched to No Gi and entered Ray's domain.  It was very difficult to keep track of all that he submitted me with as I made the statement that they were all foot locks but he also got me with a couple armlocks and a choke as well.  Some of the good things I did were an omoplata that he did defend with an ankle lock, I attempted some wrist locks that got him to move, and a butterfly sweep.  I was able to move a lot more in no gi without the collars for him to grip so that was a nice change.  The most difficult part to get over with him was worrying so much about getting ankle locks that I wouldn't do some things that I normally do like putting my hooks in from back mount because he always ankle locks me from there.  I think I just need to go up against him more to get used to defending all of these different kinds of attacks and I need to pick up a few of my own.  He is just several levels above me when it comes to the ankle lock game.





No comments:

Post a Comment