Sunday, June 8, 2014

June 7th 2014 - Open Mat (No Easy Rolls)

My parents took the boys to the kids class so I had the morning off.  I heard they behaved well and ended up being the only ones there. 

I've become a little concerned with the smell of my sweat and my gis starting to stink.  A little Google searching says that an ammonia smell during long workouts can be from the body running out of carbs to burn and then starts to burn protein and that's what causes the smell.  So this morning I drank more water and ate more carbs and it made a difference as far as I could tell.  I ended up having zero easy rolls today and it was great, except I did have a little cough.

Adam:  It's been a long time since we've rolled.  We did some slow rolling to warm-up a bit and then got into it.  I felt like I had a little more for him than before guard wise.  I was able to regain guard a few times, but never really threatened him with anything.  I did my best to defend everything that he threw at me but could never get on the offensive.  

Greg: He asked me to drill a very cool 50/50 escape with him.  I'm always happy to oblige any drilling requests.  Basically you get two low pant grips and then shrimp away to get your other leg on their thigh.  Finally you kick away in a side kick motion to then perform a technical stand up.  I really enjoyed this as I don't have very many answers for this position.

We rolled after that and I had very little success.  I probably didn't have the best strategy as I always started off trying to butterfly sweep him which is really Greg's thing.  He was hunting for armlocks on me today as he kept passing my guard to side control and then moved into mount and then worked for armbars. 

Henry: Had a pretty good roll with Henry and I kept him from submitting me sort of.  Probably the most frustrating thing was that I had Henry in turtle and side control but with his body twisting magic he was able to regain a good position.  Then when he had side control he continued to attack and setup his baseball bat choke.  During the last one that he attempted I was able to keep my distance and eventually escaped but at the cost of being lightheaded.  We quit rolling after that.

Ray: Our first roll he felt like the immovable object.  I attempted butterfly guard and then he smash passed me and from then on out I attempted to escape side control, and ended up tapping to a kimura.  Our second roll I setup an omoplata from open guard.  He got under me and rolled me into a mount but I lost the position from there and ended up getting subbed by an armbar soon after.

No comments:

Post a Comment