Wednesday, September 19, 2012

September 19th - Morning Open

Felt really good this morning, still not 100% but I'll take what I can get.  I started rolling with Craig from standing first, and it appears that he has adopted the arm drag into his arsenal since that is what we both tried to do to each other.  After a couple of attempts from each of us I decided to go for the sacrifice throw that Ray taught a couple of months ago and it worked beautifully.  From there I took it easy and would transition from side control to mount and then if I felt any pressure I'd go to some type of guard to avoid injury.  The half guard sweep was really working for me today so that would usually get me back on top again and working for side control. 

Ken and I had several epic battles this morning.  I made several good attempts at passing his open guard and failed most of the time.  We also spent a good deal of time in my closed guard, due to a conversation we had on Monday, I was attempting some wristlocks and trying to keep attacking so he couldn't focus on his defense.  He ended up submitting me with a couple of unorthodox but effective armlocks. 

Sometimes I feel like I get stuck in a loop though and keep going to the same techniques over and over.  I suppose this is natural, but it really tells me I have to grow too.  As an example a common occurrence is that if my closed guard is broken, I'll go for half guard.  Then I will go for the underhook and get low and grab the shin to try to sweep them.  If they base out I'll swing my body to deep half guard and then try to swing to kind of an over/under position.  With some people I'll go through this same process within the same roll.  Not sure if this good or bad for me at this point.  While it feels natural and like I'm doing techniques properly and that it's flowing smoothly it also feels like I shouldn't be repeating myself and I'm giving my opponent the ability to defend against my game easily.  Maybe this is the way it's supposed to be because eventually everyone will learn how to defend what I'm good at and I'll be forced to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment