Friday, September 28, 2012

September 27th - Gi

I was going to ask Conan to work on armbars today from mount or guard and magically that's what Conan had in mind.  We started with the armbar from the mount drill.  We then set it up with a collar choke.  From there we mostly focused on things to do if they locked up their arms and you couldn't straighten them.  We did a little progression starting with a triangle by slipping the leg under their arms, then if that failed we went back to armbar and if that didn't work we did a cool ankle cross choke kind of thing.  We also did a little progressing using bicep cutter with just the arm and then kicking the leg over.  I had a little trouble with this and the triangle, mostly just hesitant to push my knees too hard.

During open mat I rolled with Adam for quite a while.  He allowed me to start on top and I was able to pass his guard off the bat with the bull fighter pass.  I tried my best to keep him in side control and succeeded for a little while until he finally jumped up and attacked the double leg out of nowhere surprising me.  From there I spent the rest of the time on the bottom.  As I've been complaining about, I'm really having a problem defeating standing guard passes mostly because of knee mobility and not wanting to try to fight for half guard with all that pressure.  Conan saw I was having some trouble and gave me some pointers on defeating the bull fighter pass.  There was a point when I was going for deep half guard and got a really bad cross face from Adam that felt like sandpaper on my lips.  I blurted out "God Dammit" and had to stop to check for blood.  It turned out to not be as bad as I thought but it sucked at the time and I'm pretty embarrassed by my outburst.  There were a couple of times that I switched to turtle briefly and then also tried the running escape which worked a little against his dominant side control.  I don't think he ended up submitting me and we quit to bow out.

Shihan is having us stop the Tuesday and Thursday evening classes that just started due to low attendance.  I haven't been able to attend yet because I spend most evenings with my family but thought it was a good idea to help get some more students to join.  It looks like we're supposed to cancel the Wednesday morning class too.  So it's a little disappointing. 

1 comment:

  1. i'm sorry that the new classes have been cancelled. i was going to the thursday night class. i liked going to the Wednesday class too. maybe some day they can be brought back.

    ReplyDelete