Monday, October 1, 2012

September 30th - No-Gi

Ray taught the no-gi class yesterday with a focus on top half guard attacking techniques.  Good stuff since I normally am just trying to pass half guard instead of submit from there except for maybe the darce a la Jerad's instruction. We did Kimura, Darce choke, then Guillotine choke if they defended the darce, and then a knee bar by sitting back over them and taking their leg which I had not done this way before.

We trained the half guard after that with partners and king of the mat.  I wasn't really able to pass anyone but half guard has been one of those positions lately that is dangerous for my knee, especially the lockdown.  So, I tried to take it easy from here and not do anything that would aggravate them.

During open mat I rolled with Jordan several times.  He seemed to improve quite a bit since last time we rolled.  He did a good job of exploiting my weakness but standing up and moving around my guard.  I think I'm going to play around with some inversion going forward to prevent this.  I caught him in a couple of arm bars and a rear naked, but I feel like I had to work a lot harder for them than previous weeks.  We talked a little bit about half guard and I showed him some things that I like to do to make it work like the importance of the underhook.

I rolled once with Jerad and we had a long active roll.  I spent most of the time playing open guard and half guard.  He did a really good job at defending my deep half and it was a little frustrating.  There were a couple of times when I was able to come up to like an over/under pass but that pass is so difficult for me in no-gi.  In the end he got me with an arm triangle that he set up from my back which was really tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment