Friday, October 26, 2012

October 25th - Gi (Worth the Trip)

Couldn't get off work early yesterday to make it to class on time but I arrived in time for the open mat portion at the end of class.  After some stretching and watching other people roll I got to partner up with Mike.  We assumed our normal position of him fighting from his back and me trying to pass his guard while defending his collar chokes.  Unfortunately I wasn't defending them well because I had 2 close calls where I had to act fast to avoid getting choked.  I almost passed his guard one time with an over/under pass but I think I stopped pushing too soon and he was able to shrimp out that one last time and keep me at bay.  He finally had me in a loop choke which I defended but turned into an arm in guillotine, with both chokes I made gurgling noises but the last one I felt I had to tap to or I would have gone out.

I then rolled with Conan who dominated me like usual.  However, I felt like I did better than usual.  I was able to move him a bit more and regained half guard a couple of times from his side control.  The worst part about being in half guard with him is that I always get caught by his crossface so I'm learning to look for it more now and get lower to prevent it.  I was defending his submissions from side mount when finally he put a shin over one arm and then started the kimura with the other one.  I grabbed my pants to defend but then could feel that he was going for the magic grip that we talked about on Monday.  I immediately let go of my pants and told him I knew what he was doing, but guess what?  That just gave him the kimura, so lose, lose there.

After that Conan lent me his copy of Jeff Glover's deep half guard dvd.  I watched most of it last night and I am now even more in love with this position.  I can't wait to watch it again and start drilling and incorporating some of the techniques from there.  So even though I was late, it was worth going into the Dojo yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment