Monday, October 8, 2012

October 7th - No Gi

Conan taught yesterday starting with a focus on the triangle choke.  It was a different setup than I usually try, in that we get the overhook and just kept scooting away until our foot would pass their arm.  Usually I do the jump rope method (not that it works that often).  We worked on using the fist to complete the choke if they tried to reach around the leg, which really sucks for the person being choked.  We also worked on kicking out if they compressed the leg to block the triangle.

We then switched our attention to side control.  We set up various techniques from the opponent defending kessa getama and then trapping their arm with our shin after they defended.  From there we went to farside armbar and inverted armbar, I think we did another technique but I can't seem to remember it.  One key aspect was that we did the windsheild wiper with our legs to switch from one shin to the other on their bicep.  We might have done kimura but I'm not sure.

For open mat I went with Conan first and we had a pretty good match.  He still dominated me like usual but he was out of breath by the end so I'll take that as a win.  He started out playing possum and gave me his side but quickly he was defending my guard passing attempts.  His guard seemed more active today than it usually does with me.  Once he got me on my back with his Conan sweep he was cross facing me all over the place and kept me pinned on the bottom.  I was able to regain half guard several times but was passed again quickly.  I don't feel like I was ever in a position to put a submission on but I do feel better than I have against him in the past.  I don't recall how he made me tap.

I rolled with Jerad a couple of times and we started from standing.  He ankle picked me once and I think my second throw failed and I ended up pulling guard.  He choked me with a darce that he had been trying to setup for the entire first role.  He kicked my butt thoroughly but gave me the compliment later that I wasn't giving him anything and he had to resort to the mean bread cutter choke in our last match.  I had to defend a lot of guillotenes so I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong.  My one shining moment was when he was stacking me in closed guard and I pulled off the underhook back roll to ankle pick, which eventually lead to a toe hold attempt.   

I went with Adam to experience more crossfacing.  There is usually quite a bit of hand fighting between us.  If he gets a hold of my wrist it's pretty tough to deal with.  I don't feel like I did much good with him and he squashed me like a bug.  He eventually finished me with a kimura.


No comments:

Post a Comment