Tuesday, October 2, 2012

October 1st - Gi

Before class started I had an impromptu roll with Will.  I just came over while he was lying on the mat stretching and tried to pass his guard with bull fighter pass.  To an onlooker it probably looked similar to when my cats fight as one will come over to the other and nudge them a bit and then bite their neck out of nowhere.  We slow rolled and had a good time.  We both had our moments of being on top and trying sweeps.  At the end I was able to get to deep half and almost take the back.

I ended up being the least experienced person on the mat last night.  It's not that often that I have to stand at the end of the line.  Greg put us through a pretty good warm-up which seems to be a good change from him lately.  Unfortunately I couldn't partake in the class team leapfrog that took place.  My knees are getting closer though.

Our focus was on the opponent stopping our butterfly guard and putting us on our back.  From there we did a couple of ways to complete the sweep by pushing them away and to the side and then using the overhook and pulling their base arm in.  If that didn't work we worked on doing the triangle.  We then trained from the butterfly position taking turns on top and bottom with and without the underhook/overhook.  I worked with Fuji and James. 

We then had some six minute rounds which I was paired with Mike.  Mike always gives me the compliment that I use more technique and less strength than others, which I appreciate.  I did some pretty good things like using the baseball bat choke to pass his butterfly guard, I couldn't complete the choke though.  Later on he went for deep half guard and I worked fast to get my leg out from between his which allowed me to work into some type of an upside down triangle.  I couldn't get it tight enough to choke him but it allowed me to mess with his arm and I eventually got him to tap from a wristlock.

Mike got me back in our second match when he grabbed both of my wrist and jumped into mount.  From there we were stuck for a little while as neither of us wanted to make a mistake.  I eventually was able to scramble but I made some bad moves and he kept going for my back.  He then was able to get my collar and put on a tight bow and arrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment