Monday, October 22, 2012

October 21st - No Gi (Quiet Class)

The Kobudo group was having a testing during our class time yesterday, so we put up the black curtains separating the mat from the wood floor and tried our best to keep quiet.  We did similar a warm-up to the recent previous classes.  Lately we've been working on a guard recovery drill called crazy legs which I've found myself using during rolling.  It's cool to actively notice something that we've been working on lately getting incorporated into my game.

We did further drilling of someone turning their back to us in side control and then taking the back from there by sitting them up and rolling to the other side.  Then if they turned toward us we would smash their head and circle to their back and take their back in a similar fashion.  We then did some guard passing and passing defenses.  Starting from double unders and did 2 defenses like rolling all the way over or the other one from last week where we end up in crucifix.  We finished class with a couple or passes and then a defense from a failed scissor sweep attempt.  Then Conan showed us a technique that will beat David, so I won't share it here.

During open mat I started with a quick roll with Conan.  Once again he sort of allowed me to take the top position, but quickly swept me.  I felt pretty good about my performance from there as I kept guard for a while.  However, just before I was going to submit him (yeah right) he noticed some blood on the floor so we quit to clean it up.

Mike and I had an epic roll, I had multiple toe hold attempts and he had multiple guillotine attempts.  We also covered a lot of ground starting at one corner of the mat and ending up in the other corner.  I think with my attempts I needed to secure him with my legs a little bit more so he couldn't roll or flip out of them.  On the plus side I'm getting pretty good at defending the guillotine and hand fighting.  I need to revisit guard passing and figure out my a game when it comes to my passing.  My opponent's knees seem to get in the way far too often.  At the end of our roll I ended up saying something like "damn" and forgot that we were supposed to be quiet.  We decided to stop, I know I was exhausted and it didn't seem like either of us was going to get the upper hand today.

No comments:

Post a Comment