Tuesday, October 16, 2012

October 15th - Gi

Jerad taught class tonight with a focus on armbar from guard.  We had a pretty good warm-up and did the neck stretches which I'm still feeling.  We started out doing a lot of reps of armbar from the guard trying to be as technical as possible.  From there we worked on when the pull the arm out which our answer was to shrimp away and switch our hips and armbar the other arm that was still in.  We worked on reaching for the far leg and somewhat inverting to take the side armbar.

To finish up the class we discussed and worked on some techniques to break the grip when someone was defending the armbar.  We went over several different ways and then kind of tried out whatever we liked.  The most popular one was grabbing the hip and rolling to our side.

We trained with guard passing king of the mat with 3 groups.  I don't feel like I did so well, but it was good training.  I think once I have faith in my knees again guard passing is going to be my number 1 goal to improve. 

I rolled with Ken a couple of times during open mat and he kicked my butt.  I'm having a really hard time with his legs.  I feel like I'm doing the right thing by going to deep half, but all too often I get caught in kind of triangle/armbar/kimura danger area.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it.  Maybe I just need to not hang out there anymore like Mike has been telling me.  He ended up submitting me from mount with a straight armlock and from deep half he transitioned into an armbar.  Ugh, time to change it up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment