Sunday, August 11, 2013

August 10th 2013 - Open Mat

I was excited to get to open mat since I had to skip Thursday and otherwise haven't been doing as much BJJ lately.  My ringworm from Tuesday  is no longer contagious according to the websites I read but I'm still applying my medication and I taped my feet up.  I made sure to let anyone know that was rolling with me that I did have it and no one seemed to mind.

I rolled with the new guy, Phil, first.  He did seem to know some basics so it wasn't a complete slaughter.  I tried to work technique as much as I could with an emphasis on guard passing no-gi. 

I rolled with Ray next.  He let me get away with some things in the beginning but he usually ended up on top in side control or mount and he felt exceptionally heavy today.  I did a couple of things well, I had him in turtle for a little while and attempted to use the judo turnover and was almost was able to take his back.  He ended up submitting me with a straight ankle lock, a kimura, a calf crusher and a modified cradle that stretched me out pretty good. 


Will and I had a pretty long roll.  It started out with him being a little more aggressive than me.  He was able to keep me at bay with a good collar grip from butterfly guard.  I wasn't able to pass and in an effort to avoid a loop choke he ended up sweeping me.  I spent some time in side control but was able to regain half guard.  Somehow I was able to get back on top and eventually made my own series of attacks.  Attempting north/south choke, kimura, and far side armbar.

I felt a little sick after that and sat out for a little while.  Maybe my lack of activity and bad diet lately caught up with me.  After cooling down in front of the fan and sipping some water I felt a little better, but it got a little iffy there for a while.

Mike kept me at bay similar to Will with that stupid collar grip.  He didn't have a hard time passing my guard which was a little discouraging.  He stuffed all of my side control escape attempts and eventually took my back after switching side to side over and over.  As I tried to escape the back mount to one side I allowed him to setup the arm-triangle and finish me.  We talked about breaking collar grips and he showed me how to press the opponent's hand to weaken their grip.  Good information and something that I haven't been using.  

It seemed like Greg's goal to deal with me was to take my back and then dig his fist into my chin.  Before that I did at least one good thing in getting to deep half guard, although I didn't finish a sweep.  He finished me twice from the back and then once with a monoplata/wrist lock, which I wasn't familiar with. 

All in all a good day of training.  I'm going to practice more of the grip breaking and incorporate that into my game.  It's definitely something I'm lacking answers for.  I also need to review the technique from the seminar and start working on some of them.  Finally, I've been making progress with my reps website hopefully I'll have something to show within the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment