Wednesday, August 28, 2013

August 27th 2013 - Gi

Felt great about class tonight.  Greg had us fill out a sheet to select our preferred times of the upcoming morning and lunch time classes. I can't wait!  Worked on a few spider guard things with Adam and slow rolled with Jerad for a bit.  We had 3 female visitors check out classes tonight.  It seemed like they got along fine and hopefully will return.

After our warm-up, the theme for the class was guard break and passing.  We used our standard straight arm double lapel grip to kneeling sideways to break the guard.  I ended up working with Adam as usual.  He is the one that asks me usually mostly because I'm the closest to his size most nights.  Blue belt Jerad joined us for some reps later on.  We switched to the inside collar grip and then cross choke if they defended the pass.  We had a little trouble getting under the jaw at first, but the more they turned in to defend the sweep the deeper the choke got.

We did up/down/out/passing/sweep/submit from the closed guard.  We had enough students to do 4 groups at once.  I feel like I did really well, and I don't believe I was passed during the session, although there were a few people I didn't get the pleasure of rolling with that could have passed.

After class I showed a couple of the guys my omaplata sweep and gave some of my finer points with it away.  Later Greg shared some funny Jiu-Jitsu stories from the past, sorry nothing I'll repeat here.  Mike and I talked a little about the differences I've noticed being a blue belt.  I haven't given it too much thought.  The only thing I could really think to say was that it felt good to be a part of the small group of blue belts at our school.  Thinking about it more now, I think there is a little bit of pressure to perform at a higher level in class.  I want to make the white belts work and earn any pass/sweep/submission they get on me.  I don't think my ego will be bruised if any of those happen, but I do feel like I've stepped up my game a little bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment