Saturday, August 24, 2013

August 24th 2013 - Open Mat

Had a great morning of tapping frequently.  It was worth every minute.

Mo: He seemed to be focused on the arm-drag.  It's cool to witness someone adopting a new technique as their own.  I gave him a few pointers and helped him with it.  I also did it to him a few times.  My goal in the roll was to work on the RNC that we did Thursday with the arm trap.  So, the armdrag to back take and the RNC worked well together.

Conan: I did some good things right away and surprised him with an omaplata.  Amazingly he got out of it and put me in side control which is where I spent most of the time with him.  After getting put in the americana several times we discussed side control escapes and that I should be bridging more and attempting the knee in to regain guard.  I all but abandoned that escape since my knees were injured.  So I have decided to add it back in and focus on it for a while.  While it didn't work for me today it actually helped my other escapes work a little better.  

Jerad: I was on top for a while in the beginning and even thought I was going to get a north/south choke, but he escaped and I don't think I used very much offensive techniques after that.  I spent some time defending his mount, but I can't really recall how he submitted me but I'm pretty sure it was twice.


Greg: I'm starting to see a pattern when I roll with Greg, he always takes my back and chokes me.  Sure he beats me other ways too.  I think he got me with a couple armbars today as well.  He especially loves to take the back though because I've witnessed him pass-up other perfectly good submissions from mount and side mount to take the back.  My best defense was occasionally I was able to reach deep half guard, and while I was able to finish one sweep, he regained guard right away.  One position that I need an answer for is the half x-guard.  Because he is always putting me there. 

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to roll with Fuji, Claire, Ray, or Henry.  I didn't really have a chance to, I hardly rested and when I did, everyone else was occupied.

Probably the best part of the session was that Jerad and Greg complimented my guard passing.  It did feel strong today.  I can only describe it as feeling like I always saw several options and could transition between those options when one of them failed.  I tried the hip switch pass several times but it's still not working for me, but I'll get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment