Friday, August 30, 2013

August 29th 2013 - No Gi

Greg was going away for the weekend so Conan took over class. I partnered up with Mike to do some pummeling drills before getting into some ground techniques.  The first technique we worked on was regaining butterfly guard from a bad half guard position.  It took a little doing to get the first butterfly hook in.  Once the hook is in we push the hips and rock the body up to allow the other hook to get in. 

The second technique that we worked on was a bread cutter from side mount.  I actually don't like this technique very much.  It sucks to have it done to me and it's a technique that I haven't quite figured out yet.  It felt a little better today, but I'm not ready to add it into my arsenal.

We did up/down/out guard passing starting from butterfly guard.  I had some good moments in guard, a few deep half sweeps and some good scrambles.  From top I had a few issues attempting passes.  Both Mike and Adam were able to grab my leg and put me into a leg lock position.  It was mostly due to attempting the hip switch pass but putting my leg close enough to be grabbed.  Later Conan and Mike helped me figure out that I was putting too much pressure into my opponent instead of hunkering back, I was thinking about it all wrong. 

We did some 4 minute round free rolling to finish out the class.  I ended up going with Will, Mike, Henry, Adam, and Conan.  I got submitted a few times and dealt out a few of my own submissions.  Some good training was had.

I did a check against my blog labels to compare who I've been instructed by the most.  Conan is still ahead with 85 then Greg with 70 then Jerad with 59 and Ray with 23.  I've attended 179 gi classes, 73 no-gi, and 83 open mats. It seems like a lot of classes, but I know I'm just scraping the surface of Jiu-Jitsu.  I'm excited to see what another 335 classes will bring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment