Sunday, September 1, 2013

August 31st 2013 - Open Mat (Where's Everybody At?)

This morning was the smallest group I've seen at LBJJC.  It started with Jerad, Adam, and myself; Moe showed up a little later.  Adam asked me to work some takedown fit-ins with him as a warm-up, which was a great.  Who better to work takedowns with than our resident wrestler.  After that, with only 3 of us there, we took turns with guard passing. 

When Moe showed up Adam and I free rolled a couple times.  I don't think I ever gained any ground on him.  He started off playing guard and it seems like the same thing has been happening to me lately.  I try to pass and they are able to control my leg and establish x-guard or half x-guard and sweep me.  I've got to be more conscious of my legs.  Adam put me into side control and got me with a couple of farside armbars.

I had a plan before class that I was going to try to work on the Ezekiel choke today.  My only chance to really work on the technique was with Moe.  I played guard with him at the beginning of each roll and worked my way into as many forms of Ezekiel that I could.  I had a hard time completing it from closed guard, he kept pulling his head out.  However, from mount and back mount I was able to complete it.  Moe didn't wear a gi this morning and choking him with the use of my gi is probably a little bit ironic.  I helped him a little bit with knee on belly and transitioning to mount, I think he picked it up okay.

I tried my best to coach Moe while he was rolling with Jerad.  Of course, I don't do well against Jerad, so I didn't have much success in telling Moe what to do.  He said that he appreciated it afterwards though.  I learned a few things from rolling with Jerad.  For the most part his guard is difficult to pass.  I told him later it feels similar to the style of the brown belt that I rolled with on my Chicago trip.  I did get to spend some time on top with him, whether that was because he let me or not is debatable.  I tried and failed several submissions from Ezekiel to north/south choke to the Rickson choke.  He showed me a great setup for the Rickson choke that is really going to up it's success rate.  After establishing the collar grip to use their leg to keep them from turning in until you're ready to complete the choke.  So I'm pretty stoked about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment