Friday, September 20, 2013

September 20th 2013 - Gi (Start the morning off right with half guard)

Just myself and Bryan attended the first 6 AM class.  After the regular warm-up stuff we did some throw fit-ins with o-soto gari and shoulder throw. 

Theme: Half Guard

As usual I feel like I got a good number of reps in with each technique that we worked on.  We did taking the back, recapturing guard, and what Greg referred to as Gordo sweep #1.  The last one was the reaching deep under their shin, then exchange hands grabbing around their leg and sweeping to side control.  I have always had a little trouble with the last part of this technique.  I have a problem figuring out the angle that allows my hand to reach their foot.  This used to be one of my go to moves but it hasn't worked well for me in quite a while.

Greg joined us for training in the half guard after that.  Bryan hasn't had much experience with this position, but I think now that he's gotten a feel for it that may start playing with it.  Of course this is just going off of my own personal experience since I fell in love with the position for a while.  The hardest part of Greg's half guard was dealing with his knee shield.  I don't have a good answer for that yet.

All in all, the class was worth getting up for.  The only bad thing about it was, having to sit in a meeting room the rest of the work day.  

WHOYA: September 20th 2012 - Gi

Apparently this was the first and one of a very few times that I worked on berimbolo.  I've dabbled with it a little, but I've never been able to encorporate it into a real roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment