Wednesday, September 11, 2013

September 10th 2013 - Gi

Theme and Techniques:Triangle Choke and armbars from the triangle position. 

Before class we were all talking about and playing around with an omaplata to collar choke that we saw in a Clark Gracie YouTube video.  Moments like these have been repeated time and time again where someone finds a video of someone doing something cool in competition and we all try to figure it out.  I'm really inspired by the video below, mostly because it's showed me some more things that I can do from the omaplata position.


I worked with Moe during the technique portion of the class.  Although triangle is one of the fundamental techniques, I'm still always trying to improve it by focusing on the little things.  My focus last night was to use the foot on the hip and squeeze with the knee more effectively and then shoot my hips up to hook up the choke.  From there we worked on a couple of different arm bars by pulling their arm across and crossing our feet or bridging into them (which I liked a lot).

We did king of the mat from closed guard.  While I had some good attempts at passing some guards, it was not my day to be a king.  It seemed like it went by faster than normal and we broke for some free rolling.

I rolled with Chris first and thought I was doing great at the beginning because I swept him with an omaplata sweep and took top position for a little while, then he was able to roll to his side and wrestle me down and I spent the rest of the time on the bottom defending.  I rolled with Moe next and decided to work on spider guard and completed a couple of sweeps which was cool.

WHOYA (What Happened One Year Ago):
The post titled September 10th - Gi (The Bees Knees) stated that I went to the orthopedist and had my left knee looked at.  Unfortunately the Dr. didn't think it was a torn meniscus like it turned out to be. So I kept training and reinjuring myself.

Greg taught knee on belly with farside armbar and kimura.  Farside armbar is one of my main submissions, but I've had a little trouble finishing kimuras but I've tried to figure it out a couple times recently.  Apparently I wasn't able to train much knee on belly a year ago due to my knee injury.  I also rolled with Mike who took it to me pretty well.  This has not changed in the past year.
Gi (The Bees Knees)
Gi (The Bees Knees)

No comments:

Post a Comment