Wednesday, September 4, 2013

September 3rd 2013 - Gi (Announcement)

Great class tonight.  I decided to leave my knee sleeves in my bag and try training without them.  It was a success, I didn't have really any issues besides some minor fatigue, but that could have been because we practiced the standing guard break so many times. 

After the warm-up I partnered with Adam and Greg had us do the standing guard break in small chunks.  Probably the toughest part about this was having to lift Adam's body weight each time, but it encourage me to use better technique.  We did 10 reps and then switched so the other person could do their reps.  We finished the break with the bullfighter pass.  One thing that I noticed about not wearing my knee sleeves, was that my leg hair often got pulled when someone grabbed my pants, ouch.

We did up/down/out with guard passing from the closed guard.  Greg limited the guard passer by only allowing them to do the bullfighter pass for the first 10 minutes or so and then allowed any standing passes, and finally all passes were allowed.  While it was difficult, I think it was the best way to get everyone to practice what we worked on in class live while it's still fresh.  I was able to complete a few passes and from my back it seemed my omaplata sweep came in handy tonight.

Jerad was very frustrating and seemed to pass through my guard like butter.  He and Mike gave me some tips afterwards that I think will help.  Mostly if they are able to stand and get distance to where I don't have good grips, I should sit-up and use a shin shield which led to other things.  Another thing for me to play with or explore. 

I announced to everyone in class that we are expecting our third child in April.  It's been difficult keeping the secret but we had an ultrasound last Tuesday and shared the news with our parents and grandparents over the weekend.  Looking forward to having another future Jiu-Jitsu student in the family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment