Friday, September 13, 2013

September 12th 2013 - No Gi (Conditioning)

Theme: Conditioning and Takedowns

It was a unique class tonight.  There was no instruction time followed by drilling, just a lot of movement and drilling.  We started with a shuttle run type of exercises where we sprinted across the mat and then do a takedowns on people waiting on the other side.  We did double legs, hip throw, single leg, and knee tap.  We then did double leg to fire carry across the mat and collar tie to back take and carry across the mat. 

Next we did standing grappling with everyone as a partner.  I felt like I had a little paralysis from analysis.  I was so worried about defending that I didn't attack or press the action like I should have.  Next time we do this, I'm going to forget about not wanting to lose and try to overwhelm my opponent with attacks.  I will probably get taken down more times than not, but it's going to be the best way to get better.  The other problem I had was that I gassed out.  Probably a combination of the previous exercise and my lack of confidence in my stand-up.  Mike stressed that I need to keep my front hand down more in no-gi, which I wasn't aware of but makes perfect sense.  The one technique that did work for me was the sacrifice throw that I've been working on. 

After that we drilled knee slide pass, leg drag, and leg drag to side control.  All things I enjoy drilling and need improvement in. 

We finished the class with 2 rounds of 4 minute free rolling.  Greg was my first partner.  Today he put me into ankle lock position twice but didn't actually attack the lock.  He did end up submitting my from mount with the monoplata to armbar thing he's been working on lately.  Next I survived the wrath of Adam.  He seemed to be setting up the arm-triangle but I was able to slip out of it a couple times. 

WHOYA: September 12th 2012 - Morning Open

Ah, the days of early morning Jiu-Jitsu.  Ken and I spent a lot of rolling time on those early butt crack of dawn Wednesday mornings.  I'm looking forward to the early Friday classes starting next week, but dreading getting up at 5:20 AM.

I mention ending up in deep half guard a lot but not being able to do much of anything from there.  I have improved on this position over the past year but I haven't been focusing on it as much as butterfly or cross guard.  Unfortunately I haven't trained with Ken in quite some time.  He used to be very frustrating to deal with, but I hope he's doing well.

1 comment:

  1. I miss training with you,Josh. I will try to make next Wednesday's 6:30 class. be there if you dare!

    ReplyDelete