Sunday, September 15, 2013

September 14th 2013 - Open Mat

My goal was to work on deep half guard today and I was able to get some practice in with it. I also have been working on a way to bridge that I heard about on a podcast from a Rickson Gracie black belt.  Basically you bridge straight up and then turn you head.  It seemed to really help today.

Free Rolling:

Brian: I felt like I had really good control of Brian today.  However, I wasn't ever in a position to go to deep half, I was on top most of the time and prevented his escapes.  Watching him improve though inspires me to keep on the ball and progress.

Adam:  I need to come up with a new strategy when facing Adam.  For now he starts off our rolls in butterfly guard until he can do some type of sweep and end up on top and then grind me out in side control until he can set something up.  My only real hope is to pass his guard before any of that happens.  Today he submitted me with what seemed like a combination of the Rickson choke and a brabo grip.  It was pretty surprising to both of us, how well it worked. 

Henry: I stayed as relaxed as I could against him.  I payed for it a couple times as he was able to pass my guard and put me into side control.  I made a few attempts at deep half, but ended up having to defend a kimura from foolishly leaving my arm dangling.  We went back and forth several times with my new bridge method helping regain guard. 

Greg: It's getting more and more fun rolling with Greg.  While I most definitely lose every time, I am allowed to move and try things and he plays off of my mistakes more than trying to force me into something.  He submitted me with an americana, which Fuji made fun of me for, and an armbar that he set up with an underhook that I gave him. 

Jerad: Today, I felt completely owned by him.  My guard retention is what really bothers me.  It doesn't seem like I have any good answers for his guard passing.  He set me up with a funky armbar after I made a miscalculation with my deep half guard 


Drilling:

Greg asked me if I would drill with him and of course my answer was yes.  He and I did several reps with a spider guard pass.  Greg ran a timer on his phone to determine when we would switch.  The technique was to bring your elbows close together and pull them so they can sit up.  Then circle one hand around and get a controlling grip on the pants, then A couple of things occurred.  I got really sore in my back and neck.  This technique required a lot of bent knee squatting movements.  Then being in the spider guard, even though I tried my best not to, I was probably pulling too hard because my fingers were screaming.

Greg also did some reps with a single x-guard setup.  This hurt my shins a little bit, but was very cool.  Instead of doing some reps with this I asked for some pointers on my deep half and did some reps with that sweep.  More drilling needs to be done.

WHOYA: September 13th 2012 - Gi

My knee was bothering me during this class and working on butterfly guard didn't help.  It's great to be healthy now.  Mike taught the cross choke from mount which I have used a little bit, but I think it's something I can revisit as I usually go for armlock submissions from mount but when that isn't available the back-up should be some type of choke.  It's funny because I remember this class well as I had just bought a new gi.

No comments:

Post a Comment