Sunday, September 8, 2013

September 7th 2013 - Open Mat

I talked Craig into coming to open mat yesterday morning, however we didn't get the chance to roll together.  It's okay, we made up for it this morning.

I rolled with Ray, Greg, and Jerad and felt quite inadequate against them as per usual.  Ray appeared to be missing leg locks because he put me in 3 of them with little difficulty on his part.  Greg and I had our average bout of him tricking me into x-guard and having to deal with that.  The only thing different is that he's been working on some mount submissions lately and has stated that mount isn't his strongest position.  I attempted to pass Jerad's guard several times to no avail.  He eventually swept me and worked from top setting up far side arm bars and bow and arrow chokes.  I guess I'll just have to keep getting better.

Air Force Brian is becoming quite the beast.  He was already athletic coming into BJJ and now that he has some techniques under his belt, he's becoming more difficult to fool.  Which means I have to be more creative and versatile.I was able to pull off a Shaolin sweep which took a couple of attempts to get him loaded up, but it was cool to get a technique to work that I've been attempting for so long.

I had a new idea for a section of the blog.  I'll call it WHOYA for "What Happened One Year Ago" and it will be a look back to my blog post from a year ago and see if I've improved or if I forgot about the lessons of the past.  Hopefully this will be a productive learning exercise for me.

September 7th 2012 - It was a no-gi class taught by Jerad with a focus on the arm drag.  Now the arm drag is an essential part of my game and something that I don't think about that much, but it is something that everyone uses.  I also make mention of my knee injury and how I was trying to baby it and keep it from getting hurt again.  Knowing what I know now, I wish I had gotten the surgery done back then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment