Tuesday, August 2, 2011

August 1st - Drenched Gi Class

Pretty cool class last night.  It was a hot one.

After a warmup Greg taught us some x-guard techniques.  I've never worked on this position before and it was a good change of pace.  I worked with Brian, Tate, and Jared on getting the position and a couple of sweeps.  I can't wait to work on this some more and get better at it.

There were a couple of times where I wasn't holding the opponents legs or arms right to prevent a triangle or getting reversed.  Greg phrased it oddly I thought, something to the effect of "I'm worried about the way that you are not holding their leg when you pass."  I found it odd because it isn't the way I'm used to being taught.  Instead of just telling me how to fix it, it seemed like he was concerned for my welfare.  Interesting, I think I should take the same attitude about training.  The price is high if these techniques are not executed correctly.

We finished with two 2 minute open guard drills.  Top guy trying to pass and the bottom guy not allowing them to do so.  I did this with Brian and Aaron and man was I tired after this. My gi was soaked with sweat and heavy.  I decided to take it off for open mat, which I usually don't do, and put a rash guard on.  I rolled with Matt first.  He's not quite as experienced as me so I tried to give him some pointers and allow him to put me in some bad positions so I could get out of them.  I eventually submitted him with an arm triangle.

I rolled with David next and had absolutely no energy.  I tried my best to just relax and go with the flow but I eventually felt too hot and gave up.  I hate giving up, I'd rather be submitted than give up.  However, it was probably a good time to quit because I felt like I was overheating and a little light headed.  I think I sweat too much, but I don't know what I can do about that.

1 comment:

  1. i'm glad and disappointed that i missed that class. i re-injured my back on Saturday and it was bothering me. you may think that you sweat too much, but do you leave sweat puddles behind like me? you could install an air-conditioner in the dojo. that could relieve some of the sweating.

    ReplyDelete