Tuesday, August 23, 2011

August 22nd - Gi Class (Paying for Vacation)

My family and I took a pretty nice vacation to Kansas City from last Thursday to Sunday.  It was pretty much all about the kids as we went to a hotel with a water park and did a lot of cool activities that they would like. Unfortunately I also pigged out all weekend.  Lots of barbeque, hamburgers, seafood and various junk food.  I even questioned if I should go to class on Monday night because I was feeling a little under the weather.  I decided to go because I missed Jiu-Jitsu.

We worked on the arm drag mostly.  First from standing into double leg take down.  Then we worked on single leg for a bit.  Finally we did some arm drag stuff from the ground, which I haven't done before and found it interesting.  I'm not sure when I'll be good enough to use it.

We finished with some butterfly guard drills.  I was already sweating pretty badly and felt a little fatigued.  I went with Fuji first and then Matt next.  It was pretty even both times I think.

During open mat I went with Adam first.  I was able to escape a couple of submissions but ultimately he got me in a kimura.  I think I need to relax more against bigger guys.  I always feel like I have to use strength when I go against someone stronger than me.

I rolled with Mike next.  We had a pretty good couple of rolls.  He is really good at moving himself around.  I almost had him a couple of times but let the submissions go because I didn't think I could finish.  There was one point where we were in donkey guard and we kind of stalemated each other not being able to attempt leg locks.  Although he did kick me in the face a couple of times.  Later on he was getting me in an armbar and he hit me in the face with his hand.  It was a little annoying and I'm sure on accident but I really didn't feel in the mood to continue so I gave him the arm.

I then rolled with Alec and tried to be as relaxed as possible because I was really feeling it.  It was fun and he eventually got me in a crucifix. 

I felt like shit after that.  I was light headed and my gi was soaked.  I wet my towel and draped it over my shoulders and stumbled my way outside.  I felt dehydrated but also felt like I couldn't drink anymore.  It was the first time I questioned if I should drive home.  I waited a little while longer and felt a little better with some sips of Gatorade.  I'll probably take a trip to Max Muscle and see if I can find something for recovery after workouts and something during.  I've also got to get my diet on track because I'm sure the crap I ate over the weekend had something to do with it.  I hate the lack of energy feeling towards the end of class.  Maybe it will be better when this heat subsides.


1 comment:

  1. what's this odd ritual called a vacation? i love pigging out when i go away from the dojo for awhile. this heat is getting ridiculous. i think when it cools down that your energy level will improve.

    ReplyDelete