Wednesday, January 11, 2012

January 11th - Morning Open

Had to start a little later this morning since David ditched us and Ken get's off work around 7.  Still got in a good workout.  It was Robert, AJ, Ken, and I.  AJ and I were ready first so I decided to start in half guard and try to work some of the things I saw on this video yesterday, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUMLNDO32zw.  Some of the stuff I picked up on seemed to be pretty helpful, especially controlling their leg more.  I really want to try the butterfly half as I think this may be something different than most people do.  I have also never seen "the waiter" done before and I think that would be interesting.

Unfortunately, I let AJ take my back.  He was doing a good job holding me but I was eventually able to mess with his hooks and get free.  Once I got to side control I could see that he wasn't aware of my new love of the north-south choke and he put his arm under me allowing me to slip right into it.    There is really something different about my attitude going against him as I know I can beat him so I don't get as concerned when he has me in a bad position.  I know that he can still tap me but I just have a little bit more experience on him.  I wish I could have this attitude with every roll because it really helps to conserve energy.

Ken and Robert had a war and went for like 20 minutes back and forth.  Eventually Ken got tired first but they both had some really good submission attempts throughout.

I went with Robert next and using a wristlock got him into side mount right away.  I was able to get him into the armbar position but he stacked me and passed.  I worked a lot of half guard and got to my knees a couple of times and eventually side control and back.  I was eventually returned to side control and he got me in an Americana.

I finished the morning out with Ken.  Again I used some of the new half guard stuff I've been working on.  To a fault though as I lost position a couple of times while trying something.  I guess that how I learn.  We switched places a couple of times and he eventually got me into mount.  He slapped an armbar on and I had to tap.


No comments:

Post a Comment