Wednesday, January 4, 2012

January 4th - Morning Open (Ups and Downs)

A little bit of a repeat from last week.  David and Robert joined me for some early morning partner drills.  Today our positions were mount and guard.  I felt like I did pretty well in both positions from top and bottom. We did 2 minute rounds and switched out partners so we all were in each position with each partner.

David had to go to class, so he took off.  I rolled with Robert about 5 times in a row.  While I did some good things and got top position or back a couple of times he pretty much dominated me the whole time.  He got me with a couple of armbars I identified some of my mistakes right as they happened.  I'm still not sure how to rectify them but identifying them is a step in the right direction.  It mostly has to do with how I use my legs in open or butterfly guard.

I was a little discouraged this morning after that.  I should be used to being submitted all of the time by now but it can really get to me.  The thing that probably bothers me about it the most is due to how long I've been in martial arts.  I got used to being considered the best student when I took Taekwondo, the best student in Hapkido class, and then finally a Hapkido instructor.  I know it has helped me progress faster than most new white belts and I don't want to take away from my brothers' skill at the dojo.  But dammit, after 20 years of martial arts and having been a Marine I should be better than I am. 

Oh well, a week from now I'll probably do something cool while rolling and be on the opposite side of the spectrum again.


No comments:

Post a Comment