Friday, January 13, 2012

January 12th - Gi

Ray taught class yesterday and we worked on some reverse de la rivas.  I worked with Julian for some of the warm-up.  He is an MMA fighter and has a really great attitude.  We did some transition drill with reverse de la rivas/x-guard/butterfly guard.  We worked on a lot of the same de la rivas things we've been working on lately, the back take, and the sweep.  We finished with a couple of variations for the bow and arrow choke.

I rolled with David first for open mat.  He pointed out that I shouldn't be laying flat on my back in guard so I tried a little bit to get off to a side and attack more.  I was able to half way sweep him and put him into guard and got the opportunity to see what he does from this position.  He does a really good job of putting my arm in danger making me concentrate on other things rather than escaping his guard.  I will make this my goal to improve my movement and activity in guard.  I can't remember how he submitted me, it might have been an armbar from guard.

Jared was next, and like usual I had a difficult time with his guard.  I defended some of his sweep attempts and the kimura that he's caught me with from half guard a couple of times.  Eventually he was able to get me on my back in guard.  He recall him standing up to break it and I felt like I didn't know what to do.  I finally tried to get my feet into reverse de la rivas but failed.  The rest of the time I spent defending side control either the far side armbar or the darce.  It seemed that whatever I tried was met with some type of submission attempt.  He eventually got me with an armbar.




No comments:

Post a Comment