Monday, March 4, 2013

March 3rd - No Gi

Ray had us do some single leg drilling and then half guard.  I worked with wrestler Jordan for the majority of the single leg part.  I notice I get a lot more winded working on this than when doing ground based stuff.  I felt pretty good about my head position and the technique in general.  I did have some stumbling blocks once I got the guy down.  I need to work on the leg drag a little more, Ray also gave me some pointers on how to prevent half guard and finish in side control.

We worked primarily from the lockdown in half guard, which I wasn't too happy about.  I've been doing a great job in rolling keeping my leg out of the lock down but it's impossible to do that when the other person is trying to practice that particular thing.  Everyone was cool with me asking them to take it easy on my left side.  Everything was good in the end.  We worked on underhooking, dog pawing, and taking that back.

During open mat I rolled with Jordan and we went over my limited knowledge of standing passes in no-gi.  I guess I have a few tricks.  We took turns playing guard or standing.  He gave me the compliment that he wanted to avoid my half guard, which I will accept.


No comments:

Post a Comment