Friday, March 1, 2013

February 28th - Gi

The theme of yesterday's class was defense against scarf hold or kesa gatame.  I kind of all around dislike this position.  If someone is good at it (Ray), it sucks to be on the bottom and it's very hard to get out of.  I am not good at it from the top and I will usually get my back taken or rolled over.  We worked on 3 or 4 different escapes that I was mostly familiar with as well as the basics of defending like trying to get your elbow to the floor below their thigh.

Greg took over close to the end and showed us another escape before separating us into groups to train with the position.  I went with Adam and Ray and they both gave me a hard time.  I even had to tap to Ray just maintaining the position because my jaw cramped up. 

I ended up not feeling very good about the class last night.  I've been trying to determine what caused this feeling and a couple of things came to mind.  I obviously got nowhere with this position so there was not even minor victory feeling.  Usually I at least have one of those.  The other factor is that I already don't like this position, but I recognize that I need to work on it to make it better, and that doesn't interest me that much.  I'd rather work on butterfly guard.

1 comment:

  1. was this pin taught because Ronda Rousey used it in her UFC fight? it's a great pin.

    ReplyDelete