Monday, March 11, 2013

March 8th - Open Mat (Big Mistake)

I was feeling so good, that I decided to go to open mat last Friday.  I also wanted to work off some of the Valentino's buffet that I had had for lunch.  I had been avoiding Friday open mat to prevent further injury and apparently for good reason.

I had some good rolls with Jerad and Ray.  I was a little more active than usual with Jerad, which he complimented me on.  I did however spend a lot of time defending from the bottom until he submitted me with a arm triangle choke.  Ray was a little more playful with me and let me put him into bad positions for a little while.  I had him in back mount but decided not to try to put my hooks in, because every time he'll submit me with an ankle lock easily.  He ended up escaping and then attacking me from mount.  He finished me in the same arm triangle choke as Jerad so I must be opening myself up for that.

Then I rolled with Mike and I went too hard.  I think I would have been fine if I wouldn't have stood up with him.  We fought for quite a while and I think he submitted me with an ankle lock from 50/50.  On our second roll he pulled guard and kind of sat on my leg locking my knees out.  Then when we came down I felt the sharp pain that comes with my hurt knee.  I don't blame Mike, it's my fault as I knew the risks. 

How frustrating.  The bright side is I feel like I'm bouncing back quicker than previously, I think the stretching and weights are helping.  Probably the worst part of all of this is that this is my annual bachelor week and I was hoping to up my training.  Now I'm not sure if I'll be able to do much at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment