Wednesday, April 16, 2014

April 15th 2014 - Gi (View from the Sidelines)

Theme & Techniques: O Goshi, Americana from Mount, Bread Cutter (Rickson) Choke

I experienced the worst kind of torture today by sitting out of BJJ and watching.  Last Tuesday I mentioned my knee was bothering me a bit and it got a lot worse the next day.  I had the most trouble going up and down stairs and then kneeling on it.  Then my back started to hurt a little from walking funny.  I probably would have been in a terrible mood if I wasn't at home with the my family for the past couple weeks.  I'm hopeful to return to the mats on Friday at full strength.

The only thing of note from watching the technique portion was that I think I'm trying to get too deep of a collar grip when I do the Rickson choke.  The other piece that was new was that Greg did almost a sitout and brought his leg under his other and turned his hips sideways in order to get the deep shoulder grab.  I have had a hard time getting a good shoulder grip and both of these changes should make a big difference.

Rolling: Mount 2 x 2 min, Side Control 2 x 2 min, Free Rolling 4 min

I tried my best to coach when I could.  Fuji apparently had a hurt shoulder and did his best to roll without the use of his arm.  Since he had his arm tucked into his belt, I kept trying to get Ben to attempt a mounted triangle on him.  I then went to coach Bhuvana but I lost her to tunnel vision.  She started out pretty aggressive and tried to choke Harvey from within his guard.  She ignored my advice to sit back on her heels and posture up.  Later on when we discussed it she said everything felt so fast and she felt claustrophobic and while she could hear a little bit of what I was saying she panicked.  I tried to reassure her that it happens to quite a few people and it's something to learn from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment