Wednesday, April 30, 2014

April 29th 2014 - Gi (Sidelined Once Again)

So I came to class just to watch, again.  My gout has been bothering me for the past week but I was dealing with it, with little discomfort.  It didn't really start bothering me until after I mowed the lawn on Saturday.  Usually it just bothers one of my big toes but this time it moved into my ankle and it's been very painful and hard to walk. It is much better today, and I'm hopeful for Friday morning.

I made a rare visit to the doctor to get my medication and am feeling better.  Like many times when this gets really bad, I also went to the internet to see if any new information has come out on the disease.  The thing that stuck out to me last night was that being overweight often exacerbates flareups.  I think it will be good all around to focus on losing some weight again.  See if I can get back to 195 again.  It just sucks that I like to eat things that are bad for me.

Theme & Techniques: Guillotine defense against wall, Basic guard break,  Double Under Pass

The noon class has been consistently growing, which is a good thing for the potential of more classes in the future.  Harvey and Tim were working close to where I was sitting and I think I gave them a couple of helpful tips.  As usual it's difficult to just watch and not be out there.  I even thought about requesting a loaner gi but I wouldn't have been able to do much.

Rolling: Guard Position (4 x 2 min rnds)

I saw some good things from everyone.  Greg was sitting next to me when I observed Jorge attempting to pass Robert's guard.  Jorge had a collar grip and was working towards a knee slide pass.  My first thought was to tell Jorge to grab Robert's pants instead but I asked Greg if he would give the same advice.  He said he wouldn't and the gi grips have a lot of merit for where he was to control distance and make pressure (paraphrasing).  Maybe it's just not my style but I stay pretty far away from my opponents gi when I'm on top trying to pass guard.  I may need to research more.

No comments:

Post a Comment