Wednesday, April 9, 2014

April 8th 2014 - Gi Drilling & All Levels

Drilling: Cross Guard failed omoplata counters to triangle/armbar and armbar

It felt great to get back on the mats and I appreciate all of the congratulations and ribbings for being a new dad again.  This was the first drilling class that I have attended and it went by way too fast.  I partnered with Will and we both worked on some closed guard techniques.  He was doing some 2 on 1 and I with my signature cross guard.  I'm at a place now where I feel pretty comfortable expanding this game past the omoplata success or fail.  So today I focused on if they try to turn back in or use a stiff arm against my leg.  It was good practice and I'm glad I made it.

My right knee has been bothering me a bit lately, but it feels more like a bruise rather than anything serious.  I'm sure it will heal up in no time.  It didn't cause me any trouble during class but it was a little tight afterwards and only really bothers me going up stairs.

All Levels
Theme & Techniques: Elbow Escape from Mount, Armbar from Mount, Followup Armbar from failed Americana

I trained with Brian L. during this portion of class.  One side of my escape was way better than the other, which is I guess to be expected, but I usually like to practice everything equally on both sides.  I didn't have any issues with the armbars as usual. 
   
Rolling: Up/Down/Out Mount, Guard Gauntlet

Greg separated us into two groups by weight and as expected I was on the big guy side.  I've never thought of myself as big, mostly because I'm only 5'9" and I was pretty scrawny growing up and didn't really fill out until after Marine Bootcamp.  I guess I just have to accept it.

My mount has felt pretty good lately.  I feel like I have a lot of attacks and am able to anticipate my opponent's escapes to be able to shift my weight properly or flow into another attack.  Of course with the likes of Jerad and Will as my opponents I do have to work a lot harder. 

I was a guard passer rather than a guard player during the gauntlet this time.  Had a good time with everyone.  Jerad hit the pushing double foot hook sweep that he's been working on, on me.  It's so demoralizing, especially after fighting to pass his butterfly guard for so long. Adam was assigned half guard which is always difficult to deal with.  There are so many things to think about especially because of his wrestling he can turn over at any time and then I have to worry about the lockdown as well.  Shawn had full guard and he surprised me with an explosive sweep after I passed to half guard. 

After class Brian asked me to help him with a kimura setup from side mount that Greg walked us through.  This was a complimentary technique to the farside armbar but starting with the arm on the other side of your head.  From there we put pressure and moved to the other side to setup the kimura.  The takeaway for me was that I wanted to posture up to get the arm in the right position but I actually wanted to keep my head down and put pressure down.  I think this may come in useful and I may need to drill it some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment