Saturday, April 19, 2014

April 19th 2014 - Kids Class & Open Mat

Kids' Class

Pretty small class this morning with only 5.  They worked on scissor sweep and played sumo.  Things were going pretty well until my middle child, Jace, had a melt down.  I thought we were passed this but he was dead set on wanting to work with his friend Conor, but it was Jayden's turn to work with him.  We both sat out of blob tag, the last game of the class because he refused to work with anyone else. 

Open Mat

It feels good to be back on the mat, however I felt a little rusty.  No knee pain at all today so I decided to give open mat a try.  I did play it safe and kept my rolls playful.  I didn't come into it with any techniques or a plan in mind of what to work on, it was mostly to hopefully get my groove back.

Jorge: Was tougher than the last time we rolled, which is saying something since he's tough to begin with.  He made me defend his attempts to recover guard and then fight off his half guard for a majority of the roll.  I attempted the bread cutter choke a few times but could never secure the shoulder grip like I wanted.  Eventually I worked my way to the baseball bat choke.

Jerad: Pretty much treated me like I treated Jorge.  He's got me pretty well figured out and I'm unsure how to rectify that.  One thing that I took note of was how he positioned his knee in butterfly guard to nullify it and also start passing.  I may have to ask him about this.  He submitted me with a few things, mounted triangle and an interesting kimura on the near side arm from side control.  

Fuji: Is still only using one arm while rolling.  While it did make some things easier it did screw up my game a little bit as I kept wanting to kimura or underhook the out of play arm.  So, one armed Fuji is also a handful.  In the end he took top position and did a one arm bread cutter.

Tim: Made the comment that I hadn't submitted him in a long while and he was starting to miss it.  After we rolled a few times he asked me to show him the north/south choke that I kept catching him with.  He picked up on it pretty quickly, it would be cool to see him attempting it in the future.  I played guard a little lazy at one point and he was able to pass to side control.  From there he did a great job of keeping me locked up in the position and putting weight in the right place. 


Austin: I was feeling pretty tired by the time I got to Austin.  I worked some spider guard from the start of our rolls attempting the basic sweep.  I screwed up a few times but just kept trying.  He felt a little more solid position wise than I remember, I'm interested to see him and many of the other new guys in another couple of months.  I attacked from mount but couldn't seem to finish anything from americana, armbar, ezekiel choke.  He did regain quarter guard which gave me the idea to try the rolling backtake.  It worked but I feel like I telegraphed it way too much.  After rolling we talked about rolling to escape omoplatas

No comments:

Post a Comment