Friday, April 25, 2014

April 25th 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: Scarf Hold Escape to back mount, Kimura from side control, Tripod Side control escape

Felt great to make it to the early morning class.  I've been swimming the last couple days during lunch but no workouts can replace how I feel during/after Jiu-Jitsu.  Cesar was my partner for techniques and we got some work done.

This morning I realized another benefit of Greg's method of repeating the same lesson for a week.  There were a few details to the techniques that I picked up on today that didn't sink in or that he taught differently.  The first was at the end of the scarf hold escape bringing your knee up a little higher before rolling to back mount made a huge difference.  The second was using shoulder pressure to cross-face while going for the kimura helped put their hand in the right position on your shoulder to make it easier to lead into the kimura grip.

Rolling: Side Control Position (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling (5 min)

On the bottom of Cesar's side control is no picnic.  It took a lot of work and ingenuity to finagle my way back to guard but I got there.  From the top, movement and cross-facing were my friends and I spent a lot of time in north/south. 

It's hard to tell with Greg how well I'm doing.  I feel like I make some progress and I do some really good things but he always has a way to counter what I do.  He beats me handily but he also allows me to feel good about my performance.  He submitted me with an armbar on my near arm from side control setting it up by messing with my far arm. 

I rolled with Darjio after class and it was well worth it.  We had a bit of a slow start as with new guys I generally sit to guard, but once I did that he sat to guard.  So I got up to pass his guard and then he got up, eventually we figured it out and I played guard.  My main focus was to get to side control and complete the kimura that we worked on this week.  I also got some cross guard work and attempted the armbar that I've been working on but was unable to finish it, but it did setup the omoplata sweep.

No comments:

Post a Comment