Tuesday, June 23, 2015

June 23nd 2015 - Gi Beginner (First Adult Teaching Gig)

Today I taught my first official adult class at LBJJC.  I think it went well, at least I didn't have any complaints.  It all felt pretty natural as I used to teach Hapkido (martial art) before I started BJJ and I've attended my fair share of beginner classes.  I'm just coming off of a 2 week break due to the new gout medication I've been taking.  Hopefully the worst is behind me and I'll be back to 100% soon.

Theme & Techniques: Technical Stand-up, Hip Bump Sweep, Kimura from Guard
Students: Robert, Bhuvana, Sam, Harvey, Grant, Jerad, Shane

I pretty much ran the class as I perceive Greg to do it.  There were 2 students that I wasn't familiar with but they both seemed like cool guys.  I thought about adding in some extra exercises to keep people on their toes but I might save them for Friday morning.

Only a couple students had very minor problems with the technical standup mostly having to do with placement of the foot during the standup and figuring out how to kick with the foot turned sidewise instead of with the toes up.  I didn't really keep track of time but it just kind of felt like everyone had worked on the technique enough and got it.

I might not have taught the hip bump in the most optimum way in the beginning.  I have to think about the best angle to show everyone the technique but I got around to all sides eventually.  Common corrections I had to make with this technique were:
  1. It's much better if you can get all the way to they hand
  2. The leg on the side you are going to sweep to must drop to the floor
  3. Bring the other foot close to your butt and point your knee straight up
 I was a little unsure how Greg taught the kimura.  If he grabbed the wrist first or if he got up like the hip bump and then grabbed the wrist.  It's correct either way, I just went right for the wrist for the purposes of the technique.  Common corrections to this technique were:
  1. No thumbs, once you make the figure 4 grip
  2. When you lay to your back bring your leg across their back to make the 90 degree angle with your opponent.  
  3. Hold their arm tight to your chest and rotate your body to finish, don't push their arms away from you.

Rolling: Guard Position (6 x 2 min)
Rolled With: Harvey, Grant, Bhuvana

With an odd number of students I got to partner up and play too.  Since I didn't know the new guys too well I thought it best not to put them together and did my best to strategically match up partners.  I think it went well.  I didn't fight too hard myself, I went for the techniques that we practiced but didn't want to push myself after the layoff.  I talked Grant through some things and let him know a couple times that he didn't want to do certain things.  Bhuvana was attempting the omoplata today and was happy with making some progress on that technique.   

Office Hours Partner: Bhuvana, Harvey

We went over the omoplata a couple times from cross guard.  The main ingredient she was missing was to punch my arm into her hip during the transition.  She felt super stoked that the technique seemed to come natural to her.  She also worked the tozi pass a little bit but I'm not proficient in this pass yet and didn't have much advice to give besides she needed to pin my leg more.

Harvey asked about the hip bump and why it didn't seem like he could do it to anyone.  I tried to explain that it was a difficult sweep and timing and explosiveness was a huge part of it.   We worked on being more efficient in getting up to his hand and that seemed to help.

All in all a successful first class.

No comments:

Post a Comment