Sunday, June 7, 2015

June 6th 2015 - Kids & Open Mat

Kids Class
Techniques: Double Ankle Grab Sweep, Standing Guard Break
Rolling/Game: Closed Guard Position, Sumo

My boys started going 3 times a week again and I can see some improvement already.  The warm-ups are getting a lot better and Jayden completed the front shrimps down the floor for the first time.  They were also doing better with the techniques since we worked on them throughout the week.  They both get a little upset when they lose, I just wish I could get across that they're improving and practicing the moves is making a difference.  I'd just like to see a little more aggression from Jayden when rolling.

Open Mat
Rolled With: Henry, Greg, Adam, Ross
Game Plan: Bottom - Deep Half, Top - Spiral Armbar

Henry: Had some success with Henry.  I got a few sweeps and had some top positions that I usually don't complete with him.  The technique that I'm most happy about was a waiter sweep that I hit.  However, he used my gi against me proficiently and caught me with a couple brabo type choke.  The major thing that I need to take away is holding a wrestler down in side control.  If I give Henry, Adam, Robert, and others any room to turn over in side control they're going to get up and reverse the position on me. 

Greg: I had some good moments rolling with him for once.  Not sure if it was because Mike was watching and giving me some encouragement.  I did some good guard recovery utilizing a deep collar grip and some fancy leg work.  He setup the side control transition to triangle a couple times but ended up finishing with the spiral armbar.  He also submitted me with a brabo arm in choke. 

Adam: I passed his guard and I swept him once!  Doesn't happen often so I'm happy to report it.  He played some spider guard to pretty good effect but we still ended up in half guard.  I passed from there.  I wasn't on top long though and eventually ended up back in guard and then into half guard.  Like always I ended up in bottom side control and we had our usual he switches from side to side, I work like hell to keep my elbows in until he gets a kimura.  He keeps asking me when I'm training because he wants to roll with me more.  I really don't feel like I do well against him besides a few things.

Ross: Had some good rolls with Ross.  He caught me by surprise at one point.  After I went to all the trouble of getting to mount and then doing a rolling back take and then attacking for an RNC he switched sides and then caught my feet with his.  I was pretty conscientious of crossing my feet but they must have just crossed for a moment in transition and he got it.  I did better in the following rolls and in the end caught a spiral armbar.  I did almost get stacked and Greg said I should grab their leg before completing the armbar.  By Jove, I think I'm figuring out the spiral armbar.  It's a great addition to my mount.  I went over some deep half basics with Ross as he was interested.  We covered posture, hiding the inside arm, and the homer simpson sweep.


No comments:

Post a Comment