Wednesday, June 24, 2015

June 24th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Hip Bump Sweep, Kimura from Guard, Hip Bump to Triangle
Partner: Harvey

Small turnout today but we got some work done.  Mike taught and had us do a grip fighting drill as part of the warm-up.  There were a couple of times when it wasn't clear to me who had the better grips but it was a good exercise all the same.

He taught well and with confidence as I would expect him to.  With the first 2 techniques I mostly focused on getting up quickly and the timing of it.  I've come to the conclusion that this is a difficult technique to drill because you need to depend on your partners reaction to get the best hip bump but if they already know what you're going to do it kind of takes the surprise away.  The triangle setup was pretty slick though I found that I gravitated to just going to the omoplata.

Rolling: Closed Guard (4 x 3 min), Free Rolling (5 min)
Rolled With: Harvey, Jordan, Mike

Rolling was fine today, just a couple of uncomfortable spots with my feet and elbows that I had to endure.  I attempted a couple of the techniques today, but didn't finish them.  I ended up in a weird omoplata position with Jordan where he was kind of sitting and I worked back and forth on the omoplata and the triangle.  Eventually it worked itself into a sweep but he did a good job defending until the end.

I ended up in some deep half situations with Mike.  I didn't feel up to our usual caliber of roll and I think he recognized that and took it easy on me.  I did sweep him with DH and ended up in double unders.  I didn't feel like I was going to pass and as I was transitioning into a single under pass he pulled me into a triangle.

Office Hours Partner: Mike

We talked about some deep half stuff and some wrist locks, but didn't roll any further.

No comments:

Post a Comment