Saturday, June 27, 2015

June 27th 2015 - Kids & Open Mat


Kids Class
Technique: Hip Bump Sweep, Kimura 

Rolling/Game: Guard Positional Sparring

I helped teach today along side Jerad.  First class was only 1 but her brother was there and helped with some of the games and techniques.  Jerad had them work on the arm drag which I think should be added to the kids curriculum it plays into so many of the games they play in class like flag tag and sumo.

My boys did great today.  Jayden was still a little behind on some of the floor stuff.  They both seemed to have picked up on the hip bump the kimura still has a few problems, mostly with securing the grips.  Rolling is still not strong for either of them, but I'm seeing them try things that they've learned.  They're also figuring out how to maintain position.

Open Mat
Rolled With: Conan, Austin, Jerad, Jordan, Caroline
Game Plan: Bottom - Deep Half, Shaolin Sweep, Top - Spiral Armbar

Conan: We rolled 2 or 3 times.  I don't remember too much about it besides trying my best to keep him from passing and then trying to defend from side control.  He caught me with an americana and probably something else. 

Austin: I went to deep half a couple times while we were rolling and showed him some of the basics of the position afterward.  One of the difficult things to explain about the deep half guard is that you want to have your back flat on the floor, instead of turned like you would escaping side control you keep both knees up with feet on the floor.

Jerad: It was good to get some rolls in with Jerad again, it's been a while.  He caught me a couple times once with a cross collar from mount and the other was a triangle from mount.  I did have some time on top and attacked from side control and mount.  I thought I had a decent ezekiel at one point but I found out later that it was more of a wind choke, I think I need to research this choke a little more.  He eventually reversed me and got out of it.  The highlight of our roll was when I took his back after a leg drag pass.  I hooked up a collar grip for a bow and arrow and kept trying to tighten it.  We did some hand fighting and rolled over and as we did I secured the other collar grip.  I tightened the choke and eventually I started to hear him gargle a bit.  I asked him if he was okay, but he made the snoring sound and he was out.  I scooted out from underneath him and made sure he was okay until he came to a couple seconds later.  Haven't had that happen before.

Jordan: I worked some half and deep half and some cross guard with him.  I had a little success with the shaolin sweep.  I think my new over commit setup is working pretty well.  After rolling a few times we talked about grip fighting from butterfly guard and my goals when passing.  We went over the leg drag and then some of the cross guard stuff that I've been working on.  One thing that seemed to help was he was kind of pushing away when attempting the omoplata instead of rotating himself around my leg. 

Caroline: She was a little more difficult to deal with than usual.  She almost took my back as I had to turtle up.  She attempted to pull me up by my collar and then slap on an RNC which I think was an interesting idea and reminded me of the north/south backtake that I've been working on.  I think if she would have done the same thing but put a hook in and fell to the side she would have had me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment