Friday, June 26, 2015

June 26th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Hip Bump Sweep, Kimura from Guard, Hip Bump to Triangle
Students: Zack, Dave, Josh, Roland, Mike (new)

Taught again this morning and everything went well.  I decided to add the sitout to the end of the warm-ups just to do something a little different.  We worked on the techniques and everyone did fine with having to make some of the same corrections from Tuesday.  One thing I would suggest to everyone is to try to always get up with the technical stand-up.

With it being a all levels class I had everyone work on the contingent of when they stop your hip bump and then they stop your kimura and finally you get the hip bump.  This is the way I usually use these techniques. 

Rolling: Free Rolling (3 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Dave, Josh, Roland

I had them do a few rounds of guard position because Mike had to leave early and we ended up with even partners.  After that I had us rotate with 4 minute rounds of regular rolling.  I feel like the rust is finally coming off from my 2 weeks of inactivity.  Probably shouldn't be too surprised, I've been consistently attending classes for quite a while.  I played butterfly or half guard from the bottom until I could sweep and then played lightly on the top to work more on transitioning smoothly.  A couple of techniques that I'm happy with hitting were a waiter sweep and a shaolin sweep that was a little sloppy but felt worked.

Office Hours Partner: Zack, Josh

Zack and Josh rolled a few times and Zack was giving him pointers and answering his questions.  I rolled with Josh a bit and then we went over how to put pressure from top side control and some attacking options from there.  He asked about developing his game and both Zack and I agreed to let it just happen naturally. 

Zack was laying complements about my skill level on pretty thick.  For those that know me I'm terrible at accepting compliments, plus I kind of feel like in many ways Zack is just as good or better than me in several aspects of Jiu-Jitsu.  I got some other compliments about my teaching and Dave made the comment of how having different teachers can give more perspective on the same technique. 

No comments:

Post a Comment