Monday, September 19, 2011

September 18th - No Gi (New Guard)

Good class yesterday, I'm always amazed with Greg's skill and ability to demonstrate techniques with great ease.  It had to take an amazing amount of hard work to get to this point.

To warm up we first went up and down the floor with various shrimping movements then partnered up and worked on takedowns and throws.  Jerad was my partner for this and the rest of the class.

The theme of the day was the Shawn Williams guard.  It's similar to the rubber guard in that it helps control the top person's posture by trapping the arm.  You put your arm under your own knee while trapping their arm into your armpit area (kinda sorta).  The two main techniques that we worked on from here were the triangle and the omma-platta.

I had injured my knee and ankle the day before but it only bothered me a couple of times.  It did prevent me from doing the omma-platta well on one side.  We ended up drilling this quite a bit and I was starting to feel comfortable getting it.  That was until we worked guard live.  Jerad passed my guard several times and I'm starting to realize the mistakes I'm making or seeing a pattern of how I am getting passed when I move a certain way.  I just need to stop making those mistakes.

I worked with Greg during round 2 and he pretty much did the Shawn Williams guard at will.  After we went he had 2 pointers for me.  One was when I'm in someone's guard don't put my hands on the ground, which I knew but I'm obviously not paying attention to it.  The second was that I'm letting my guard open up too easily.  I should have some type of purpose behind opening my guard.  While I know I'm getting better having my guard get passed so easily is a problem.  It's something I'm going to focus on this month along with bridging or side control escapes.

I rolled with Jerad and Fuji during open mat.  Nothing really to write about with those matches except I was submitted by both.  Fuji with armbar and Jerad with a north/south choke.

No comments:

Post a Comment