Tuesday, September 20, 2011

September 19th - Gi Class (On Guard)

Jerad taught class last night and asked for requests of what anyone wanted to work on.  Since class the day before when Greg suggested that I improve my guard I asked if we could work on maintaining the guard.

We worked on several defenses to common passes.  It turned out to be rather informative for me as I do know the passes and have had them done to me, but don't always know how to defend them.  One defense pass that I really like was from the double unders pass (or whatever it's called).  When they put both arms under your knees and try to stack you up, you sit up and hook your feet inside of theirs.  Then step over and make a shoulder lock.

We finished the class with 2 minute partner drills trying to pass the guard.  I worked with Fuji, Nick, and Ken.  I feel like I'm improving.  I can see some avenues to get half guard at times where I didn't before and I'm anticipating my opponent's movements.  Still there is a lot to learn and some bad habits that need to be corrected.

I rolled with Ken and James afterward.  Ken and I did quite a bit of standup which was nice, but tiring.  Hopefully I can get him to work with me on this more and help with my kazushi.  Once we went to the ground I had a tough time with Ken today.  I think he's stopped being as nice to me as he was when I first started.  Which is a good sign.

I rolled James next and I surprised him with a wrist lock.  I don't think he liked that very much at first.  He eventually took my back and really stretched me out.  Afterward I showed him and Ken some more Hapkido jointlocks which they thought were cool.

1 comment: