Tuesday, September 27, 2011

September 26th - Gi Class

Jerad taught and the theme of the night was gi chokes.  While I like the idea of them and doing them to others I really don't like having them done to me.  Just something about using the gi material to be choked with makes it seem more like a strangulation homocide.  Maybe I watch too much Law and Order with my wife.

We worked on the basic cross collar choke (a little bit different than I've done before), the baseball bat from both bottom and top side control, and the bow and arrow choke.  Not only is my neck a little sore, but my fingers are also fatigued from having to grab the collar so much.

At the end of class we did guard passing/retention drills.  I went with Adam and Nick.

For open mat I rolled with Andy first.  He made several good attempts at collar chokes on me that I was just barely able to stop by pushing on his elbows.  However,  I eventually got his back and was able to sink in the bow and arrow choke.  I was so excited to pull off such a cool move but held it in because I didn't want Andy to feel bad.

I went with Ken next and we worked on standing sparring again.  I'm glad we've started doing this cause I'm getting a little more comfortable with being aggressive from the feet and trying some things out.  We rolled and Ken gave me a hard time.  It was a good match and there was a lot of back and forth but I found it exceedingly difficult to make it past his guard.  Eventually he tapped me out with an americana.

I finished out the night with Jerad.  I sensed that he was playing with me a little bit because he skipped some submission attempts that I kind of fell into.  He also passes my guard very easily.  He also got me in an americana but by using his legs.  We talked for a little while and I mentioned that there is something that I'm missing when it comes to retaining guard.  He said that if I feel like I'm at that point were someone is almost going to pass to just shrimp away a little bit and try to regain guard.  We also talked about some things that I could do on my own to get better.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for working on stand-up with me. i don't do enough of that in judo class. i think that's why my judo sucks. all of the tournaments start standing up anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely, the pleasure is all mine. I really like working with and learning Judo techniques I find them to be more of my style than wrestling (although I need to learn some of that too).

    Let's keep it up and hopefully I won't gas out as quickly in the near future.

    ReplyDelete